Enhancing your dining room doesn’t necessarily mean costly refurbishment. Sometimes, a simple addition is all it takes to give the room a lift or complete an already beautiful room.
A handwoven rug, for example, is an aesthetically pleasing addition to any room. With a little bit of creativity, a rug can become more than a simple floor covering. Layer it over existing carpeting for more texture. You can even hang it up on the wall for an eye-catching statement piece.
What to Look for in a Dining Room Rug
When selecting a modern rug for your dining room, make sure it will enhance the space while still being functional. Otherwise, you could just end up with an expensive eyesore.
Here are some factors to keep in mind.
As a communal space, your dining room experiences more foot traffic than other rooms in your home. Additionally, the furniture placed on top of it will contribute to its wear and tear. Any rug you choose should be made with durable materials.
• Natural materials, such as silk or cotton, are the fastest to deteriorate with constant use. The combination of frequent foot traffic and chairs being pulled and pushed will easily damage these materials.
• Man-made fibers are easier to clean and maintain. Bear this in mind if you have small children who are prone to spilling drinks and dropping food on the floor.
The size of the rug alters the whole room’s visual aspect. A rug that is too small becomes an eyesore that detracts from the whole room’s aesthetic appeal. Alternatively, a rug that is too big will make the room feel cramped. Be mindful of the room’s size when choosing a rug.
• The rug should be large enough to accommodate your dining space, even with all of the chairs pulled out. Their hind legs should be resting on the rug when they are pulled out.
• When placed in the center of the room, make sure it is even. Leaving one side with too much negative space will make the room look imbalanced.
Color and Pattern
As a decorative element, your rug’s color and pattern shouldn’t clash with the room’s existing furnishings. Decide on a pleasing color and pattern to make the most out of your new rug.
• Decide on what you want your rug to accomplish for the room. If you’re using it to tone down the other furnishings, earthy tones work best. If it’s your accent piece, look at bright and bold colors.
• A smaller dining room can benefit from a striped rug. Long and thin stripes will make the room look wider than it is.
• Look for patterns that complement your furniture. An Oriental or Persian rug will look better with antiques, while a geometric pattern better suits modern furnishings.
Why Choose Lolo Rugs and Gifts
Lolo Rugs and Gifts was founded on the dream to bring Turkish culture and tradition to the world. We curate handmade rugs and fine home décor that feature the rich cultural history of the country. Our rug selection has been curated to feature unique and modern rugs. All of these are hand-woven using traditional techniques, including an authentic vegetable dyeing process. Get the craftsmanship of proven techniques with the durability of modern materials.Find out more details about our rugs when you get in touch with us. Leave a message here.